Under the first quarter 2019 the Fake ≠ Fact Info Lab was created collaboratively between the Swedish Institute och Arbetets museum. Thereafter the exhibition was translated, printed (English and Amharic) showcased at three occasions during the spring and early summer of 2019 in Addis Ababa. Fojo consultant Ewa Thorslund organised in Addis Ababa together with Fojo and Nubia Media.
The exhibition was shown:
- Fojo regional conference on media reform, 9-10 April 2019 at the UNECA Centre in Addis Ababa
- World Press Freedom Day (WPFD) 1-3 May at AU Headquarters
- Swedish National Celebration, Reception at the Swedish Embassy on 6th June 2019
The aim with the exhibition is to strengthen people’s ability to separate reliable information from unreliable information and to provide (easy to understand and use) fact-checking tools so people can make independent assessments of sources.
The interest was very high, both from Ethiopians and visitors from other African countries and experts from UNESCO and other UN/Media organisations/universities.
Our goals were met and the exhibition is still in Addis Ababa and there are plans to show the exhibition again at the university to Bahir Dar and the Technical University in Addis Ababa.
There is also big interest from other countries where Fojo works with media literacy and fact checking -for example in Rwanda where Fojo support the School of Journalism and Communication (SJC), University of Rwanda.
Some voice about the exhibition:
Most of the reactions were very positive and very encouraging. People thought it (the exhibition) very effective to reach the youth.
- A media expert said that it was very helpful for her because it gave her a clear understanding of how to reach the youth and what kind of content and what kind of information they use. She said it was a very simple and clearly showed the steps how to identify fake news from facts and that it was good to get the attention from youth who have shorter attention spans so therefore the exhibition is easy to catch.
- Another one said: if everyone is informed, if everyone knows how to separate fake news from facts….then they wouldn’t spread fake news themselves