Consultancy Assignment: Journalism and Communication Curriculum Review Expert wanted.
Location: School of Journalism and Communication (SJC), University of Rwanda (UR, Huye, Rwanda
Time period: 90 day period
Deadline for application submission: 11th October 2019.
The School of Journalism and Communication (SJC) of the University of Rwanda in partnership with Fojo Media Institute, Sweden, is in the process of reviewing its undergraduate 3-year curriculum that was developed in 2016. The aim is to review the curriculum to examine the extent to which it has met the objectives for which it was developed, the extent to which it has met the expectations of various stakeholders and the extent to which it has been implemented as well as to further align the curriculum to current media industry needs and growing expectations.
In this regard, a consultancy position is open for an expert who will steer the review process and facilitate the revision of all the modules taught at undergraduate level in order to address how they meet contemporary needs of journalism and communication education. The revised curriculum should be relevant to the current media industry market demands at national, regional and international levels.
Terms of reference of the consultant
- Agree with SJC management and Fojo on the methodology of the curriculum review process.
- Review the existing curriculum and related documents (reports, policies, etc.) in line with various stakeholders (i.e. students, academics and the media sector, etc.)
- Lead the curriculum review process ensuring the relevance and quality of the individual modules that make up the programme, including documenting the use of new media and ICT-tools in curriculum and teaching.
- Prepare a draft report on the findings of the review process.
- Disseminate the findings in the report during a planned retreat with the SJC management and staff and to consider the ensuing discussion in the final report and revised curriculum.
- Propose the nature and structure of the new curriculum per year of study (including suggestions for departments or other options, etc)
- Draft the revised curriculum taking into account for example the UNESCO model curricula in Journalism and Communication education, among other international best practices.
- Submit the revised curriculum and finalized report to Fojo and SJC.
Qualifications of the consultant
- A PhD degree in Journalism, Mass communication, Media or Communication studies.
- Demonstrated experience in curriculum review and development in relevant fields.
- Experience in media education and training in development contexts preferably in Africa
- Knowledge of current trends in journalism and communication education, training and practice
- Knowledge of the state of the media in East Africa (and especially, media industry in Rwanda) will be a great asset.
- Fluency in both spoken and written English is required.
Period of the consultancy
The whole review process will be completed within a 90-day period after the signature of the contract, including scheduled visits to Rwanda (SJC is located in Huye Town, Huye District, Southern Province), that will be determined at the start of the consultancy.
Budget and facilitation
- The budget for the entire consultancy is between 7,000 USD and 9,000 USD to be paid as follows: 50% to be paid after presentation and approval of a report on the findings of the review and 50% after presentation of a Revised curriculum after integrating comments from the workshop.
- Air ticket (if needed), local transportation and accommodation will be paid separately in accordance with Fojo Media Institute policy.
Application Process and deadline
- The Application should among others include a timeline of key activities of the review process.
- Applications are open from individuals or groups of people who may want to do the consultancy jointly.
- Applications and updated CVs (including relevant testimonials) should be sent by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org, Fojo Project Manager, with copy to email@example.com, Dean of SJC, and firstname.lastname@example.org, Project Coordinator.
- The deadline for application is 11th October 2019 at 5.00pm. Applications received after that deadline will not be accepted.
- Notification of the winner shall be done within 15 days after submission of the application.